Wednesday, April 03, 2013

biscuits & gravy

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

This is the fiancé's favorite breakfast. And I think I've gotten pretty good at making it now. It's actually a pretty simple and quick recipe that doesn't take long to whip up. There are about a million and one recipes out there but this is a super simple and delicious adaptation we've loved.
And p.s. as usual it's all in iPhone pictures, because I don't own a fancy camera, nor would I have time to haul it around snapping photos. You're pretty much lucky I even remembered to stop and snap a few with my phone...


Begin with 1 lb. sausage. We think it's really best with spicy sausage and we like this one 
(although I think it would be even better with turkey sausage seeing as I'm not really a pork fan). But I'm serious on the spicy sausage, we used plain sausage before and the result was a little bland.
Brown the sausage in a large fry pan according to the instructions on the package.
{ Make sure to stick your biscuits in the oven while you do this because if you wait your gravy will be done and getting super thick while you're sitting around waiting for your biscuits to bake. }


For the gravy I suggest using whole milk because it has a creamier and thicker texture to it. You can also use whipping cream but I like the whole milk better. As far as how much of everything to add I just eyeball it (remember how I told you here that we don't really use measurements when we cook?) - but I did put approximations in the recipe below.


Start the gravy by stirring in some flour. It should start to thicken the meat up. When the flour is dissolved stir in milk and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook your gravy until it's all thick and bubbly. It should look a little something like the pictures below:



Your biscuits should be done about now so get those puppies out of the oven. We like to use the Pillsbury buttermilk kind (but any buttermilk biscuit will do - you can even try your hand at homemade if your feelin' especially fancy). Bake them until just golden.


Cut your biscuits in half and top with the gravy. The more gravy the better according to fiancé. 
Bon appetit!

Biscuits & Gravy
servings: 4 { but if you're eating with a bottomless pit who's favorite breakfast is biscuits and gravy it may be just 2 - one for you and the rest for him ;) }
  • 1 lb. hot/spicy sausage 
  • 8 biscuits
  • Flour - about 1/2 cup
  • Whole milk - about 2 cups
  • Salt & pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment